9 Late Summer & Early Fall Inspired Recipes to make the best use of fresh and local produce.
Fall is almost in full swing in New York City. The weather has been all over the place. Some days it’s hot and sunny, the next it will be dark and rainy. I’m trying to enjoy the few sunny days before winter hits and it’s all dark, gray and cloudy days. The crisp air and changing leaves of fall never seem to last long enough to fully appreciate them.
With the last in between days between fall and summer, come the last of the summer fruits and the start of the fall vegetables. I received a box full of fresh produce from local farmers this week and it’s amazing! There is such a variety and everything looks so good.
Receiving a box of fruits and vegetables that have been hand-selected by someone else is a much different way of shopping than I am used to.
On top of the amount of produce that arrived, there was quite a variety of fruits and vegetables that I typically wouldn’t have picked up for myself. This is what came:
- 5 honey crisp apples
- 4 ears of corn
- a mini watermelon
- a head of iceberg lettuce
- a head of purple romaine lettuce
- a stalk of kale
- some mixed greens
- mini bell peppers
- brussel sprouts
- five potatoes
- heirloom tomatoes
- 4 mini eggplants
With all this fresh produce, I need some inspiration and ideas for what to make with it all. And I was not disappointed with all the recipes that I came across.
9 Late Summer & Early Fall Inspired Recipes
- An Apple Pancake that would be the perfect dish to make for a brunch party.
- A Kale Pesto to elevate your pastas.
- Stuffed mini bell peppers that come together in a few minutes and with only three ingredients.
- A marinated heirloom tomato salad to capture the feeling of late summer.
- Roasted mini eggplants to keep things simple.
- Bacon and Roasted Brussel Sprouts for something sweet and creative.
- A back to the basics recipe on different ways to cook fresh corn with the husks still intact.
- A cast-iron skillet potato recipe that looks just as good as it tastes.
- Mini Watermelon Frozen Margarita Popsicles that will give you one last day of summer.
What are you cooking as the end of summer fades and the beginning of fall comes into full swing? Do you have any favorite late summer & early fall inspired recipes?
Latest posts by Elyse (see all)
- 7 Things to Be Grateful for Today - February 20, 2019
- Things to do on Valentine’s Day If You Don’t Have Someone Special to Celebrate With - February 14, 2019
- The 2 Apps You Must Have on Your Phone Before Traveling to Southeast Asia - December 17, 2018